Swimming is one form of exercise that can be continued through every stage of pregnancy. The supportive and soothing properties of the water make relaxation comfortable and tranquil. The feeling of well-being that comes from the time spent in the water is worthwhile. It is a great way to stay in shape. Medicine studies have shown that swimming during pregnancy will help with an easier and shorter labour and birth, fewer caesarean surgeries, a quicker recovery postpartum, a quicker return to pre-pregnancy weight, and also a healthier feeling during pregnancy.
It has also shown that women who swim for at least 30 minutes, three or four times a week had fetus’s with lower heart rates – a sign of heart health – during the final weeks of development.
Benefits of Antenatal Swimming
- Enhances well-being – feel light, agile and relaxed
- Keeps the body fit and healthy
- Eases lower back strain
- Reduces fluid retention and swelling
- Promotes pelvic floor and core stability awareness
- Improves posture, co-ordination and balance
- Boosts sleep quality
- Prepares for labour and post natal recovery
It’s important to find a stroke that’s comfortable and try to avoid busy times at the pool.
Why not join a class near you!